Even for seasoned Shopify store owners, continuously generating traffic is always a necessity. It’s not enough to stick with one traffic-driving tactic, either. What works at first might not work the next year or even the next month.
So what can you do to learn how to drive more traffic to your Shopify store?
There are lots of ways to drive traffic to your storefront. These include social media campaigns, influencer marketing, SEO, email marketing, and more. Remember, generating traffic is an ongoing challenge for all online stores. It’s imperative to stay tenacious in your traffic-generating efforts.
If you’ve seen a dip in your traffic recently and want to change that, you’ve come to the right place. In this post, we’re covering the most effective ways to drive traffic to your Shopify store.
Essential Factors to Consider for Website Traffic
Before getting started marketing, there are some crucial points to consider. After all, large numbers of traffic don’t necessarily translate into sales. You want to make sure that you have a high chance of converting your traffic into customers. Here are some critical questions to ask yourself before getting started:
- Is my niche big enough? You’ll need to have a precise knowledge of your target audience. If your niche isn’t big enough, you won’t stand a chance at generating more traffic. Not only that, but you should pay attention to the competitive landscape. If your niche is getting dominated by a few online stores, it might be wise to find a new market.
- Are my products valuable? For traffic to convert into sales, your products have to provide lots of value. Take an assessment of the products that you sell right now. Do they solve customer problems? Are they high-end and one-of-a-kind? Do you have ways of ensuring repeat business from customers?
- What is my web copy/product story like right now? Even if your product has lots of value, you’ll need some fantastic copy to go along with it. That means including product descriptions that are compelling, succinct, and exciting. It would be best if you also devised clever product stories to generate more interest. An example would be including how you came up with the product or its unique origins.
Carefully Consider Your Marketing Strategy
Once you’ve answered the questions above, you’re ready to move on to choosing your tactics. Bear in mind; specific traffic sources will produce higher-quality traffic than others. What’s high-quality traffic? It’s traffic from your target audience that’s likely to convert. Low-quality traffic is visitors that don’t have any intent on buying your products.
Let’s consider an example. You start generating traffic from guitar forums to your Shopify music store. There, you sell guitars, picks, amps, and accessories. In other words, you sell exactly what your visitors are looking for the most. That’s high-quality traffic in action.
Low-quality traffic would be luring visitors from a fishing website. They aren’t musicians or guitarists, so they do not need to visit your store.
It may seem obvious, but it’s a critical distinction to make. You need to focus on traffic sources that are high-quality and related to your niche. That way, you stand the greatest chance at converting them.
For each traffic-generating tactic, you should consider:
- If it’s a short-term or long-term tactic
- How much effort it will take to complete
- How long it will take before you see a boost in traffic
- The overall cost involved in marketing
- The potential amounts of traffic that you could potentially gain from the tactic
If the tactic passes the test, then you should implement it. If you find that it will cost too much, take too long, or involve too much effort, pass on it. That will help you identify the most effective traffic-generating tactics for your store.
Running Social Media Ad Campaigns
Now let’s get into the nitty-gritty of how to drive more traffic to your Shopify store. One of the most common tactics is to take to social media to start ad campaigns.
There’s a good reason for this, as social media platforms have massive audiences.
Ads are also relatively inexpensive, and they can be very effective when done right. Here are some social media traffic-generating ideas:
- Facebook Ads. Facebook is still the most significant player in social media, with 2.6 billion monthly users. As a result, it’s a goldmine for marketing and advertising. Facebook even has an advertising platform that’s inexpensive and easy to use. You can optimize your ads and decide who sees them. That way, you can ensure that your ads will only display to your target audience. It’s a short-term tactic that doesn’t involve much effort. In fact, you can see a boost to your traffic in a matter of days.
- Facebook Groups. This tactic may take a bit longer, but it’s free and well worth it. In addition to traditional ads, you can use Facebook Groups to drive traffic to your store. It’s a valuable tactic because you can target groups related to your niche. An example would be targeting a Facebook dog lover’s group for your Shopify pet store. You’ll need to create some topics and engage with the group at first. From there, you can provide links to your store.
- Instagram Ads. Next in popularity to Facebook is Instagram, with over a billion active users. Instagram is your chance to display all that your store has to offer visually. You can create images and videos related to your products. You can also create hashtags for your products to generate interest. The best Instagram ad campaigns are ones that encourage interactivity.
- Google Ads. Google ads give you the chance to market directly to users searching for your products. For this reason, they’re among the most effective forms of traffic generation. More good news is that your Google ads will show up on both Google and YouTube. These are two of the biggest platforms on the internet. Google ads work like an auction. The ad placement will go to the highest bidder. Google Ads can be expensive, and there’s a lot of competition, but they can generate loads of traffic.
Have Your Friends and Family Share Your Store
If your store is brand-new, then you can look to your friends and family for help. Try to think of any friends that you have with large followings on social media. Get your family and friends to share your online store on their social media pages. Encourage their friends to share your store as well.
It’s a modest strategy that’s both free and low effort. Yet, it can yield a much-needed boost in traffic for your new store. Instead of trying to sell your products to your friends, use them for networking instead.
Take Advantage of Reddit
We mention Reddit a lot, but it’s for a good reason. Reddit contains user forums where people share content and engage in discussion. There are thousands of subreddits where people discuss niche topics. It’s essentially an online town hall where the people can engage with one another.
Reddit is a powerful marketing and advertising tool. It’s a way that you can network with individuals in your target audience. You can also conduct lots of necessary market research here. You’ll get the chance to read posts from your target audience and see what makes them tick.
Try heading over to the /r/entrepreneur subreddit. There, you’ll find lots of solid advice on how to start a business. There are nearly a million subscribers, and lots of successful entrepreneurs post here.
To drive traffic to your store, you’ll need to create a post in a relevant subreddit. Here are some tips and tricks for creating a post that catches attention:
- An eye-grabbing headline. If you want users to click on your post, then you’ll need to get their attention. The catchier you can make your title, the better. Also, the title should relate to the topic of the subreddit.
- Get to the point. There’s no point in beating around the bush here unless you want readers to click away. At the same time, it’s crucial not to go for the hard sell. If users suspect that you’re only after their money, they won’t waste their time. Instead, create posts that relate to the topic and provide value.
- Use product photos. Images will make your posts more readable. Not only that, but they’ll give your readers an idea of what your products are like right now. Use your highest-quality photos that make your products look fantastic.
- Leave a link to your store. Remember, don’t forget to leave a link to your store and your most relevant product. If you ignore this step, your readers won’t know where to go to buy your products.
Create Fun Contests and Giveaways
Creating a contest or free giveaway is a sure-fire way to boost traffic to your store. When users sign up for a game, they almost always share it with someone else. People love the chance to win something for free, which is why this is a great tactic.
Contests can be costly, though, so you need to play it smart. The goal is to provide a reward that’s enticing enough to participate but won’t make you go broke by giving it away.
Another perk is that contests provide quick boosts in traffic. You won’t have to wait very long after announcing your contest for visitors to start rolling in.
Getting them to your store is only half the battle, though. You won’t see any benefit to the traffic if nobody buys anything. Once they visit your store, the goal is to guide them toward your products.
That’s where discounts and coupons come into play.
Users will be far more likely to buy from you if they have a discount or coupon. That will encourage them to make their first purchase. If they like your product, they will continue to buy it at the total price next time.
Reach Out to Influencers
Influencers can help you boost your traffic as well. They can be influencers from blogs, social media, or YouTube. Influencers are great marketing tools due to their large followings. If you can get a famous influencer to wear your product or provide a link, you’ll see a boost in traffic.
It may cost you to win the approval of an influencer. Yet, it doesn’t have to cost you much. You can also entice influencers by offering them free products or discounts.
If you know someone with a prominent blog that gets many hits, why not do a guest post? You can cover a topic that relates to your store. At the end of the post, you can drop a link to your Shopify store. That’s another way that you can get a nice boost to your traffic.
Use Privy for Email Marketing
Finally, email marketing is an excellent traffic-boosting technique. If you want to use email marketing on Shopify, there’s no better way than through Privy. It’s an app you can download from the Shopify App Store. It makes creating email marketing campaigns effortless.
The great thing about Privy is that you can set up automated email marketing. That way, you can send newsletters, promotions, and emails on an automatic schedule. That will free you up to focus on other essential areas of your business.
Privy also allows you to create cross-sell campaigns and free shipping bars. That will incentivize your customers to spend more, increasing your average ticket size.
Essential features include:
- Supports custom storefronts
- Automated workflows
- Free shipping bar
- Targeted campaigns
- Single-use and bulk coupons
- User-friendly campaign designer
- Banners, flyouts, embedded forms, cart savers, and more
As you can see, Privy comes loaded with a ton of unique features. If you’re serious about driving traffic to your Shopify store, then you need to download Privy.
It’s completely free to install for up to 100 mailable contacts. That should be plenty for any new Shopify store. Its upgraded versions are also very cost-effective. Its conversion/email plan is only $10, and Privy Text is $10 per month. To check out Privy visit this link here.
How to Drive More Traffic to Your Shopify Store ( quick video )
Now you should know how to drive more traffic to your Shopify store. You can use social media, word of mouth, Reddit, and lots of other sources. It would be best if you always strived to gain high-quality traffic from interested users. Also, don’t forget to download Privy to leverage its fantastic email marketing campaigns. If you’d be interested in our guide on how to blog on Shopify visit this link here.
If you want to see a list of our top recommended Shopify apps visit this link here.