Are you running a massive sale on your Shopify store? If so, you need a way to convey how long it will last to your customers. The most effective way to do so is to use a sales countdown timer.
It’s a timer that pops up next to items on sale. It lets your customers know how long they have before the deal runs out.
It’s a great way to incentivize your customers to act now instead of waiting to make a purchase. It benefits them because they take advantage of the sale – and it helps you because you get the revenue.
If you aren’t sure how to integrate a countdown timer on Shopify – you’re in the right place. Here’s how to add a countdown timer to your Shopify store.
Using Debutify to Add a Customizable Sales Countdown Timer on Shopify
To make things easy on yourself – we highly recommend downloading Debutify. It’s a conversion-boosting e-commerce theme that has 54 unique add-ons.
Using Debutify can save yourself hundreds of dollars on app subscriptions.
It includes conversion boosters, cart maximizers, loyalty builders, shopping enhances, and shop protectors.
One of its add-ons is the ability to add sales countdown timers to your Shopify store. For the purposes of this post, that’s the add-on that we’re going to focus on the most. Once you download the app, here’s what you’ll need to do to start using the add-on.
Enabling the Sales Countdown Timer Add-On in Debutify
First, log in to your Shopify account and go to the dashboard. Go to Theme Editor > Theme Settings. Scroll down until you find Debutify Add-ons. From the drop-down menu, check the checkbox next to Sales Countdown Trigger.
That will enable the app to start using it for specific products. Of course, you’ll need to know which products are on sale beforehand.
Also – not every product will show the sale countdown once you enable it. You’ll need to pick each product manually to show the countdown. That way – products that aren’t on sale won’t show the timer. Later on, you’ll learn to enable visibility settings to include the timer on specific collections.
Now that you’ve enabled the add-on – it’s time to start adding products. You’ll also learn how to customize the add-on fully.
Customizing the Sales Countdown Add-On in Debutify
On Debutify’s homepage – scroll down to Sales Countdown on the sidebar. That will bring up the menu where you can add products and customize things.
The first section, called Content, is where you’ll upload all the products you want to have the timer. Make sure you have a detailed list of all the products on sale at your store.
You can add specific variants of products instead of the whole thing. That way, particular colors or product types can be on sale while others aren’t.
There’s also a link to Debutify’s help center if you’d like additional support. There, you’ll find a step-by-step tutorial breaking down Debutify’s add-ons.
Here’s a look at the customizable fields in the add-on:
- Icon. This refers to the tiny graphic that appears next to the countdown timer. You can change the icon or do without one. The default icon is a flame implying a flash sale. If you want to change it, Debutify has many other icons you can use. If you have your own branded icons, you can also choose to upload those.
- Prefix. This refers to the text appearing before the countdown timer. An example would be ‘Our sale concludes in 2h 3m 54s.’ In that case, the prefix would be the ‘our sale concludes in’ portion of the phrase. You can edit it to be shorter or longer to say whatever you please.
- Suffix. This is the text appearing after the countdown timer. Of course, you can choose to do without a suffix if you want it to end in the timer. Yet – the suffix is a chance to include a small call-to-action. An example would be ‘Our sale ends in 2h 3m 54s, so don’t wait to act now.’
- Days, hours, minutes, seconds. You can customize how you display the remaining time using these fields.
If you need to edit the sale length, click on the product name under Content.
That will bring up a new customizable field called Timer Settings. Here are the areas you can edit:
- Sale end date. Using the format MM/DD/YY, enter the day that your sale ends. The add-on will use this information to generate a timer.
- Hours and minutes. If you don’t choose to enter a date, you can use the hour and minute slider bars. Use them to convey the remaining time left in your sale for the timer.
Underneath this section, there’s another called When Timer Is Over. Here, you can decide what to do when the time runs out. Your options are:
- Hide timer. The timer will permanently disappear until you start it again.
- Reload timer. The timer will start over for a new sale.
- Show message. You can choose to display a quick note for your customers. That allows you to let customers know that they just missed out – but to pay close attention to the next sale. You can even choose to include dates of upcoming sales to help your customers out.
The final section on the page is Visibility Settings. It’s what you can use to enable the timer on other products or collections. Options include:
- All. Every product in your store will display a countdown timer.
- Tag-based. Only products containing a specific tag will have the sales timer.
- Type-based. Only particular product types will show the timer.
- Product-based. Specific collections will show the timer.
- Collection-based. Product collections will show the sales timer.
That’s how to add a countdown timer to your Shopify store. Using Debutify, you can quickly and easily add a sales countdown timer to Shopify. Beyond that – the theme contains 53 other unique add-ons to enhance your storefront. With Debutify, you can save hundreds of dollars on app subscriptions – as it’s like having 54 apps in one.
For more great content to help you develop your Shopify strategies, check out the rest of the merchant posts on the site. If you want to see a list of our top recommended Shopify apps visit this link here.