Augmented reality superimposes computer-generated images onto the real world. It’s a powerful technology that has a vast number of applications, one of which is e-commerce. AR provides a more immersive experience for customers. They can get a more realistic view of your products’ size, shape, color, and function with it.
An example would be previewing couches through your camera phone in your living room. Through the screen, you’ll see a realistic superimposed version of the sofa in your home. That way, you can gauge whether or not it’s a good fit for you.
But does Shopify support augmented reality?
Shopify allows users to incorporate augmented reality in their stores. You can add 3D models directly to your Shopify dashboard. That will allow your customers to view your products within AR. You’ll need scannable 3D models of your products to use it.
If you’re eager to add augmented reality to your Shopify store, you’re in luck. We’re here to clue you in on how to use AR through Shopify, as well as the benefits of doing so.
Getting 3D Models of Your Products
In the recent past, it was necessary to download an app for AR. With Shopify’s new updates, that’s no longer a requirement. Instead, all you need to do is add 3D models to your dashboard. From there, your users will be able to view your products in augmented reality.
Yet, you’ll still have to acquire 3D models of all your products.
So how can you get 3D models? The best way is to head over to the Shopify Experts Marketplace. In the search query, look for experts that offer 3D model creation. Once you find an expert that you trust, reach out to them.
In the contact form for your expert, spare no detail about your project. To do it right, you’ll need to include detailed product photos and dimensions. Here’s what you’ll need to do to photograph 3D models:
- Take photos from the front, left, top, back, right, and bottom.
- Ensure that the photos are crisp and in focus.
- If you have the option, it’s best not to use a cell phone camera. Instead, try to use a camera with an adjustable lens. More oversized products require smaller diameter lenses, while tinier products require higher ones. An example would be photographing a couch with a 50 mm lens.
- If there are any unique curves, details, or textures, take closeups of them.
- Clearly label the photos with the angle included, like this ‘couch – top.’ That will make life much easier for your Shopify expert.
Next, you’ll have to include the product’s dimensions. Here are some guidelines for taking the measurements:
- Describe them in clear and straightforward terms.
- Provide the measurements in millimeters.
- Use a diagram that shows which dimensions your measurements used.
- Include any CAD files or technical drawings
For each dimension, provide a clear and concise measurement in millimeters. An example would be ‘the top of the couch is ___ mm.’
That will provide your Shopify expert with a clear guide for creating the 3D model for each product. The better you provide measurements and photos, the more accurate your 3D models will turn out.
Once you have all this information ready, it’s time to send it to your Shopify expert. From there, all you need to do is wait until your 3D models get done. When they do, all you have to do is add them to your Shopify Dashboard. They’ll then show up on your Shopify store with an AR view available. You can also find excellent Shopify experts on Fiverr, if your interested follow this link.
Use a Theme That Supports 3D Models
While you don’t need an app to support AR, you will need a theme compatible with 3D models. Not every theme will have this capability, so you may have to switch themes to use AR. So if you notice that you aren’t able to add 3D models to your dashboard, that’s likely the reason why.
Here’s a list of Shopify themes that support 3D models and augmented reality:
- Brooklyn version 16 or higher
- Debut version 16 or higher
- Narrative version 16 or higher
Each of these themes will allow you to include AR for your products with ease. It is possible to modify an existing theme to include 3D model support. To do so takes some technical expertise, though. You can reach out to a Shopify expert to help you modify your theme for AR. We only recommend doing this if you have a specific theme that you can’t change yet really want to use AR.
Why Include AR On Your Shopify Store?
Okay, since you know the answer to, “Does Shopify support augmented reality?” You may be wondering why you should even bother. Does AR provide any benefits for your business?
The answer is a resounding yes. There are lots of reasons why you should include AR. The essential benefits include:
- An immersive shopping experience. When it comes to giving your customers a realistic view of your products, nothing beats AR. It provides a level of immersion that you can’t achieve with photos or videos. With it, customers can see a real-time 3D view of your product superimposed in their home.
- Fantastic customer engagement. It’s a fact that experiential marketing is highly effective. Customers love to engage with products so they can test them out. One of the most significant drawbacks of e-commerce is this lack of interaction. Luckily, AR is here to fill in that gap. Your customers will feel as if they have your product right in front of them.
- Reduce refunds and returns. Product returns are a nightmare for any e-commerce store. It happens all the time; a customer returns a product because it just wasn’t what they expected. It’s either too small, too big, or doesn’t look how they thought it would. Experiencing products in AR will significantly reduce this. It will allow your customers to get an incredibly realistic impression of your product.
Try Shopify for free.
If you are interested in Shopify and want to try it out, Shopify is offering a 14-day free trial here. The free trial is great because you get to see how Shopify works before committing to one of their monthly programs. If you decide to start the free trial, you can pick up right where you left off when you switch to the monthly plan. If you’re looking to grow or start your online business, this is an excellent opportunity to try Shopify.
Does Shopify Support Augmented Reality? ( quick video )
Why does Shopify support augmented reality? Because it’s the wave of the future for e-commerce. It’s a potent tool that bridges the gap between the customer and your online store. They can finally feel as if they’re getting a physical impression of your products before buying them. So if you run a Shopify store, incorporating AR is a fantastic idea for your business.
For more great content to help you develop your Shopify strategies, check out the rest of the merchant posts on the site. If you want to see a list of our top recommended Shopify apps visit this link here.